Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Straight From The Garden Salad

This salad is quick, easy and fresh. Everything in this salad except for the dressing comes from your garden. But the real beauty of this salad is that you don't have to use exac,tly what I used. You can substitute in vegetables you may grow that I don't or take away vegetables you don't care for. You'll also find that I don't put quantities. That's because you can make a single serving or a large batch. It all depends on how many you have to feed when you make this.

bell pepper (today I used red, green and purple, but any color bell pepper works)
cucumber (I used an Armenian cucumber, but any cucumber can go in this salad)
tomato (any type)
onion (I happened to have a red onion, but any variety can be used)
dressing (I have used Italian, balsamic vinegrette, Greek vinegrette and I've also mixed my own using rice vinegar and olive oil)

Cut all vegetables into bite size pieces. If you prefer to peel your cucumber, you can. If you use an Armenian cucumber you should peel and seed it. Once all of your vegetables are cut, pour your dressing over it all and stir. I always use enough dressing to cover the vegetables and then use a slotted spoon to serve. However, you can use as little or as much dressing as you want. This dish can be served immediately or chilled and served later. I also like to spoon this over lettuce or cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment